Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Ear

 Really good tutorial with a slightly different method of attaching the ear.

The ear was by far the most challenging part of the modeling so far. I will probably go as far as saying that it the most difficult 3D element I have ever produced. I started by drawing the topology lines on the reference plane as before and again traced over the boxes using splines. Using the same method as the face I welded and extruded the ear but this time was much more difficult. I found myself in perspective view the whole time trying to judge visually the way it should be. Frustratingly I found a few triangles had crept in whilst creating the ear. I decided to push on as I did not want to fall behind trying to make them perfect.



Once the ear was created to a point I was happy with I then took about the task of attaching it to the head. Again what I thought would be a simple task took considerable time. I could never get the ear quite how I wanted. Even after simplifying the back of the ear I still found it difficult to connect without bad geometry appearing. This was primarily because the ear ended up having considerably more polygons than I would have liked. The front of the ear where it connects to the side of the head was a particular problem point because the number of polygons was so different.  The closeness of the ear to the side of the face made the whole process much more difficult. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment